Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Dark Knight

You might be thinking why write about a movie for, isn't that like reviewing a movie? Well, technically yes, but in the case of The Dark Knight, it's an experience, an epic event, and when its The Dark Knight at IMAX, it's a moment in ones life. 16th of July 2008 is the date, IMAX at Sydney is the location, The Dark Knight is the movie.
Just so you know, I'm a huge Batman fan, so this will be very much a biased review, if it does end up sounding like a review in the end. How huge a fan? Well, that explanation would take up another blog, so I'll save that for another time.
In preparation for this movie, I didn't do much preparation at all, I didn't watch any trailers, read any articles, look up pictures and whenever the commercial turned up on television, I'd change the channel, all just to give myself a completely Bat-free until I watched the movie. Heath Ledger dying didn't help as any news reports of him often played footage from the movie, but I pulled through and went to see the movie with no knowledge of very much except who was in the movie and comic book references for the movie.

All I knew was Joker was the main bad guy, Sal Maroni was the mob boss this time and Harvey Dent would be around doing his DA thing. Knowing the Killing Joke was the reference comic book for the Joker's character and The Long Halloween was the reference for the mob boss side of the story I had a rough idea what the movie was about anyway, having read them before.
But even then, nothing could prepare me for the awesomeness of the movie, especially on IMAX, which a few scenes for filmed specifically for. So a concern with the switch between IMAX and traditional footage lingered for a while, but was soon forgotten when I realised that I didn't notice the change at all because we're all too busy looking at whats going on the screen.
And what was on the screen was Bat-tastic, the Joker oozes with charisma everytime he is on screen and you just can't wait to see what he does and more importantly, how he does it. All the Batman appearances are awesome and the moment when Jim Gordon, Harvey Dent and Batman are on the police headquarters rooftop, I personally, internally 'squeeled' (if thats the correct word) if only because I read a similar scene in The Long Halloween and seeing it on screen made the movie that much better.
Some may say 2.5 hours is too long, but I say it's just right, and should've been 10 minutes longer like Nolan's original cut was, but of course, I'm just being biased. So I'm looking forward to the movie coming out on DVD, or Blu Ray, and watching it again, and again and again in high definition.
Suffice to say, watching The Dark Knight at IMAX helped made that week one of the best weeks ever! I'd talk more about the movie, but I'd just be spoiling it for you, so I'll give you three reasons to watch it, in no particular order.
1. Batman 'Batpod'
2. Joker "How about a magic trick?"
3. Harvey Dent "Heads or Tails?"
Adding a forth
4. Because I've seen it.

2 comments:

Julienne said...

I watched it tonight!
I am in love with Batman, not the actor but the character Batman. I'm not a comic book fan so I didn't get any of the references, but the movie itself was fantastic! I also liked Batman Begins when I watched it a few years ago. *sigh*

Katie Holmes was a better Rachel, maybe because I like Katie Holmes... (don't ask, it just traces back to my embarrassing dawson's creek fascination).

Andy said...

I'll get around to watching it haha, sounds like fun XD

Thanks for the review! =P