Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Full & Final Semester

We're like a month into the semester now, but I decided to wait until now before talking about it. Why now? I suppose because now is the time where things with university get a lot more busy, which could mean a lot less people reading this, meaning a lot less comments, but thats nothing I'm not used to already.

This is my final semester of my course, being Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practices, except without the diploma because I've decided to drop that so that I could finish my course a lot more earlier. I just have to rememeber to lodge in the form before the end of semester, otherwise I'll be stuck in my course for another year! I just have to make sure I pass my two last subjects, which at this point is easier said that done, as they're both assignment heavy subjects, but I suppose I'm slowly working through them. My classes are pretty much on Monday mornings, so early start to the week for me.

In addition to the study of Information Technology was also my study of the language of Japanese, at TAFE, this would also be my last semester for the course, slowly finishing up the two years I've spent studying Japanese. I've gotten a bit better, but feel I could be a lot better if I got down to really study and practice. I need to make Japanese friends or something. the course is catered for people who work, so classes are on Tuesday and Thursday nights, from 6pm - 8pm, meaning I get home around 9:15pm.

Silly me, thinking that because I only had two subjects to do, I'd have time for things like work, so I started applying for jobs. And being the picky person I am I only chose ones that seemed interesting to me, and soon enough I got my job at Datacom, doing customer service work, which did seem interesting at first, but has become somewhat of a chore to me, but I suppose thats how work is now isn't it? Hopefully my future career won't be anything like this. Fortunately it's only part time work, meaning 20 hours a week and currently I'm doing it in 5 hour blocks, for 4 days a week of work for me.

I also started learning hybrid martial arts, which you might've read about in a previous blog. But its a good way of getting fit, and until I do get fit, I'll just be getting tired, a lot. And with classes at night, I'll be returning home too tired to do anything at all. They have classes Monday to Thursday from 6:30pm to 8:45pm, though sometimes they go overtime, to really make us work. So I get home around 9pm really tired.

Finally I have my church commmitments, which include SonRise (our children's ministry), doing powerpoint for the Morning Service at our church and attending weekly Bible Study. Church being on Sundays of course, and Bible study on Wednesday nights, although there is a Tuesday night Bibly study, but I've got Japanese on Tuesday nights.

So what does all this culminate into? A very full and busy semester for me, and for those who like pictures, here is what this semester looks like for me, as in the supposedly ideal timetable for me this semester.


Block of work...augh...

With work, I may get the occasional Saturday night shift, but otherwise I'll try to keep it to Tuesday to Friday, so my weekends are untouched. So from Monday to Friday I'll be doing something morning to night, resulting in a tired David for the next day. I've not many days to really sleep in either it seems, that just means I'll have to sleep early, which is hard on a weeknight getting home late, having to shower, eat dinner and sit back to relax, and by then it's bed time.
Having little time for anything also cuts into what some might call a social life, but I don't think about that too much, and I suppose ideally I would be able to make time for outings and whatnot. But making time for study and assignments is a whole other matter, one that requires motivation, which at this point is to pass and get out of uni before going back in next year (if I play my cards right).

I see life in increments, every so often obstacles pop up that I have to get through in order to reach something else. Kind of like a game. Right now, my increment is the semester and the obstacle is pretty much university, and passing that obstacle will result in my graduation and a free semester to just earn money and work on my interests, developing the character and person that is David. Will I reach that goal? I'll let you know in a few months...

No comments: