Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Rib Hurts

Doing BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) is a dangerous sport, like any other contact sport you can get hurt and/or injured. While at training, we had a guy who broke his arm while wrestling, and amazingly he didn't scream in pain like I would and had to go to the hospital, needless to say I don't think he came back.

I've seen people get choked out to the point of blacking out, which is pretty funny seeing a person go limp, and then recover later not knowing what had happened. I once nearly blacked out, but managed to tap out, leading to the other guy letting go of my head and all the oxygen and blood rushed back to my brain and for a moment I didn't know where I was but regained my composure only to tap out again moments later.

I've seen guys get hurt in their downstairs area, which, as painful as it is, is also amusing. I once accidentally landed right onto a friend I was wrestling and I've never seen a person leap so high from his back in pain before, it reminded me of pro wrestling and how they take bumps, but to see it happen in person was hilarious even though he was in extreme pain. That's why I wear a cup, to avoid these things.

Anyways, last week on Thursday I was wrestling a friend who is better and heavier than me, and while wrestling he wound up on top in mount, which is one of the best positions for him to be in, and worst positions for me to be in. He transferred to what is called "Rodeo Mount" where his legs would extend out so he's fully sitting on you, like a cowboy sits on a bull, trying to control him. I knew I was going to lose pretty soon, but I tried to escape anyway and decided to buck him and try to roll him over, all I succeeded in doing was bucking him up into the air for a second, and like a persistent cowboy came back down on my chest and essentially sat on my ribs, particularly my left side of my ribs. So I was in major pain, following the round I didn't wrestle anymore, went home and iced my chest down.

Come Tuesday my rib is still bothering me, it's sticking out more on my left side (where it hurts) than on my right side, so that's not normal. So I go to see the doctor, but due to the mass amount of other people waiting, I end up going to Wednesday.
The doctor checks out my rib and prescribes an X-Ray for me, which I went to take after seeing the doctor. Getting an X-Ray was interesting, I was expecting to lie down on a bed while a machine X-Ray's me but instead I had to stand up against a wall thing and breathe in, breathe out and even stop breathing for the lady to X-ray me. Having a female do it was slightly awkward for a bit, being a bit self conscious of being topless while some lady takes pictures of your bones, that's going way deep...

Come Friday I pick up my X-Rays and then see the doctor so he can look at them. Fearing a fractured rib, he told me that I was okay, and that it was just tissue damage, or something like that, but having said that he told me "X-ray's may not pick up everything", so I had to keep an eye on it and in two weeks if it's still hurting come back for another X-ray.

Right now my rib hurts, but hopefully it'll heal itself like Wolverine (go go current blockbuster movie reference) very soon. Let's see how I go in two weeks time...now where's that ice pack.

3 comments:

Hue said...

ouch

Julienne said...

Woverine haha you wish!

Hybrid Hunter said...

I'm just as hairy as him.
In high school I had wild sideburns and someone called me Wolverine once...thats gotta count for something!